Thursday, October 9, 2014

Many Faces of Pop Culture


According to Wikipedia, Hello Kitty’s first appearance was a vinyl coin purse. It was introduced in Japan in 1974 and brought to the United States in 1976.  The character is a staple of the Japanese pop culture. My Little Pony is intended for girls age two through 11. This pop culture for the age group began in the 80’s. “Survivor” is a reality game program that has been on air for 10+ years and is considered media pop culture. This program is about 12-15 individuals stranded on an island. The survivor that wins the game wins a lot of money.

Hello Kitty and My Little Pony were well known during my childhood years. Now they are a big staple in society with all age groups and both gender roles. These animated icons have outlasted many other pop culture icons and expanding across the globe. The program “Survivor” was the first of this type of reality show that follows people in situations that we may not have experienced. Society is living through these reality stars and enjoys doing so from the comfort of their homes.

I find it endearing those icons such as Hello Kitty and My Little Pony are a big apart of my daughters’ childhood like they were mine. It brings back many memories. As for the reality show “Survivor”, I enjoy watching this particular show because I am always interested in the dynamics of the people thrown together in groups and how everyone interacts. The dynamics of people in situations are learning tools for me as well. I am able to question myself (What would I do in this situation?) and think outside the box when it comes to predicaments these reality show people are in.

Image result for images of survivor tv showImage result for images of hello kitty
                                                                                                                             
                                        Image result for images of my little pony
                                                                                    

2 comments:

  1. Its funny because my niece LOVES My Little Pony, and while it has evolved greatly since my childhood days, its still "My Little Pony". I think I may have said this in my blog, but I feel like the pop culture recycles icons and styles from other times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that Hello Kitty was first introduced in the late 70's, I must be way behind on the times because I didn't know about Hello Kitty until 2000's. It was not a part of my childhood but My Little Pony was. I remember watching the show and getting toys for Christmas. A few other icons that are popular now that were when I was young is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Strawberry Stortcake, and Polly Pocket.

    ReplyDelete